Victor Lawrence Rainey (Vic) passed away on Monday June 26, 2023, in his beloved mountain home in Upton, Utah. He was born January 4, 1927, in Wheelon, Utah. He married Delsa Shanks in 1947 and Neta Thompson in 1960. He lived with his partner Pamela Chapman for more than 40 years.
Dad grew up on a farm in Idaho and was very proud of that farm boy heritage and work ethic. In elementary school, he walked to school no matter the weather, uphill both ways, as he tells it. It was a 2 mile walk if he kept to the road, and half a mile if he went over the side of the cliff. He went over the side of the cliff. He also tells the story of a time when his parents got stuck away from home in the winter for 2 nights, leaving 3 boys, Vic being the oldest at 7, home alone on the farm. He said they just kept doing the chores – milking the cows, cutting firewood, whatever needed to be done. They feasted on his mother’s canned peaches and waited for their parents to get back.
At 17 years old Dad wanted to get off the farm, so he joined the Marines with his mother’s permission. He was asked to go to officer training school part way through his deployment, but thought it was a bad idea for a kid to have rank over men. Also, by this time all he wanted to do was go home to the farm. He served 2 years in the Marines near the end of WWII in the Pacific Theater, choosing to go home after the war ended as soon as he had enough points.
Dad went home to the farm, but not for long. Below is a list of jobs he held throughout his life, in order. He asked Pamela to type up this list not too long ago.
Listing of various jobs held
• Ship Building – Swan Island Shipyard (Liberty Ships)
• Elevator Operator – Senate Office Building – Washington, DC
• Alaska Railroad
• Driving Instructor – Washington, DC
• Banking – Hailey 1st National
• Restaurant Supply Store – SLC
• Operations Manager – Tracy Collins Bank & Trust
• Truck & Trailer Loader – PIE Trucking
• Bank Manager – Idaho 1st National Bank – Mackay Idaho
• President – Bank of St. George
• President – St George Chamber of Commerce
• Mayor – City of Santa Clara, Utah
• Sr. Vice President – Zions First National Bank
• Home Renovations – Chapman-Rainey Real Estate
• Partner & Installations Manager – PCC Inc.
• Mediator/Director – Mountain Mediation – Park City, UT
• Horse Trainer – Chapman-Rainey, Chapman Champions
Victor is survived by his soul mate and longest love affair Pamela Chapman as well as his loving children: Larry (Freda) Rainey, Robert (Lala) Rainey, Russell (Susan) Rainey, Roger (Erma) Rainey, Renae (Marcus) Proctor, Roslyn (Jason) Edgington, 42 Grandchildren (including spouses), and 47 Great Grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his daughter, Christie Rainey, and his grandson, Damon Fawcett.
There will be a Celebration of Life on Saturday, August 5 at 4:00p.m. It will be at their home, 1860 E Chalk Creek Rd, Upton, Utah 84107. The American Legion, which Vic participated in for years, will be performing military honors.
Cremains will be interred in a Niche at Camp Williams, Utah.